What is porcelain gallbladder? This condition is considered very rare. To learn more about porcelain gallbladder, read our article. Gallbladder is located right beneath your liver. This organ takes part in digestion processes. Its function is to concentrate the bile and to release it into the intestines. If the gallbladder is unable to release the bile, digestion will become difficult and you will start having some uncomfortable symptoms, such as bloating, belching, indigestion, abdominal discomfort, vomiting, nausea, jaundice and abdominal pain. This pain is located on the right side of your abdomen, but it can spread to your right shoulder as well. In most people, the pain starts after a meal, and can last for several hours. These symptoms can be misleading, because they are quite non-specific. However, you must not ignore these signs. If you experience any of these symptoms, visit your doctor and see if there is anything wrong.
Calcification of the Gallbladder Wall
● Porcelain gallbladder can be defined as a condition that is characterized by calcification of the gallbladder wall.
● Doctors believe that the cause can be found in gallstones. However, there can be other contributing factors, too. More researches have to be done to determine other causes.
How does this happen?
● You probably know that the main function of gallbladder is to concentrate bile that is produced in the liver. Bile passes through the bile duct and gets into the intestines. Gallbladder regulates the bile excretion. If the bile flow is obstructed, foods cannot be properly digested. In such cases, cholesterol will get crystallized and gallstones will develop. Gallstones can be very small, or they can grow large. Smaller stones are barely visible and they usually go without any symptoms. These stones are also known as “the silent stones” because they are asymptomatic and people do not know they have them. However, once the stones become larger, they will start showing symptoms.
● One of the most common complications caused by gallstones is the blockage of the bile duct. When this happens, gallbladder walls can become hardened. This is what we call “porcelain gallbladder”.
● Porcelain gallbladder must be treated as soon as possible. If left untreated, it can lead to serious problems. In such cases, gallbladder surgery has to be done.
● We still do not know enough about this disease, but it seems that women are more prone to porcelain gallbladder.