If you have had gallbladder surgery, your doctor has probably told you what foods to avoid after gallbladder removal. Gallbladder is an important organ, located near the liver. The main function of this organ is to store bile produced in the liver, and release bile when needed. When you eat some foods, certain amount of bile is released by your gallbladder. Bile is necessary for normal digestion, especially when it comes to digestion of fatty foods.
Gallbladder disorders are usually caused by gallstones. Gallstones are composed of cholesterol, pigments and several other elements. There are three types of stones: pigment stones, mixed stones and cholesterol stones. Some gallstones are quite small and they usually cause no symptoms at all. People can live with these stones for years, without even knowing about it. However, larger stones can lead to certain complications. For example, a gallstone can get stuck inside the bile duct and obstruct the bile flow. If this happens, you will start having symptoms like abdominal discomfort, belching, nausea, jaundice and pain.
Gallbladder removal is sometimes the only way to deal with gallbladder disorder. This method is used when all other options fail. Complications are rare, but it is important to follow your doctor’s instructions, especially after the surgery. You will need to modify your diet. Certain foods will have to be eliminated from your menu. Let us learn more about gallbladder diet restrictions.
Foods to Avoid After Gallbladder Removal
● Foods that are high in cholesterol will have to be avoided. You can eat lean meat, such as skinless fish, chicken breast and turkey but you will have to be careful with meat anyway.
● Egg yolk is one of the food items to avoid after gallbladder removal.
● White rice, bagels, white bread, pancakes, waffles and similar snacks should not be included in your diet.
● Cabbage and broccoli should be avoided.
● Mayonnaise, butter, margarine, and fatty sauces must be avoided.
● You should not eat fatty cheeses and other dairy products that contain fats.